Hello everyone! So, how’s the long weekend goin’ for everyone? Trying to cheering up yourself or stuck between which colour to wear? Finally, the festival of lights is here. Seriously, drooling over those fancy lights and of course the rituals! Just by the way, what comes to your mind when you read the title. Any guesses? Yes, that’s ‘Popeye the sailor’, a fictional character who is fond of spinach, which gives him great strength.
I’m strong to the finish ’cause I eats me spinach.” Interesting yeah!
Long back when I visited Piccadily in Kolkata, I was mesmerized by the delicious food ‘Popeye’s Pick’ Never knew that crepe with stuffed spinach amd corn may result in this way. Since then, it was my favourite, I always wanted to try my hands on this recipe and I finally did. The outcome was wonderful.
For an elegant brunch treat, serve these delicious crepes with their savory filling and delicate cheese sauce. It is not only delicious but also very healthy as it is packed with spinach, and corn stuffed inside crepes. Mama always said to eat your veggies. And what better way than in these delicious spinach and corn crepes? I jazzed -up the flavor by adding Italian spice blend and a jar of hot cheese sauce.
And I tell you this ‘dish’ is the only reason why I started eating spinach. XD There’s no question that spinach is one of the healthiest leafy green vegetable!
Lots of information for today, haha. now sharing the recipe at least time possible. Got to go soon today! yk
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4th cup cornflour
2/3rd cup milk
1 Tablespoon melted butter
A pinch of salt
Butter for greasing
1/2 tablespoon of butter
1+1/2 cup chopped spinach
1 cup corn
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
salt, to taste
1 tablespoon of all purpose flour
1 cup milk
4 tablespoon of grated cheese
For Cheese sauce,
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
3 cups milk
¼ teaspoon onion powder
⅛ teaspoon black pepper or a pinch
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup grated cheese
salt, to taste.
Let’s begin with making the crepe.
1. Sift the flour with a pinch of salt into a medium-size bowl. Add melted butter and add the milk in a steady stream, whisking constantly and gradually incorporating the flour as you do so.
2. Whisk until the batter is smooth and all the flour has been incorporated.
3. Heat pan over medium-high heat until hot. Grease pan lightly with butter.
4. Pour batter into hot pan, immediately tilting pan until batter covers bottom. Cook until edges start to dry and center is set. Turn and cook other side until light brown. And its done. Repeat it for all the crepes. This batter will make about 6 crepes depending on what size of crepes are you making. Once it is done keep it aside.
Next, we will make the filling.
1. In a medium skillet, take 1/2 tablespoon of butter and add the chopped spinach and corn kennels. Cool it about 2 minutes.
2. Add salt and pepper and you will see how the spinach starts to leave water. Cook it for another 3 minutes.
3. Now, add 1 tablespoon of maida and mix well the mixture. Pour the milk and 1/4th cup of cheese.
4. Cook until the cheese melts and the mixture become a little thick. (Don’t let the mixture dry completely)
5. Turn off the stove and pour the mixture in a bowl.
And then comes the cheese sauce.
1. Cook flour and seasonings with butter to remove any floury flavor.
Slowly add in some milk to the mixture and whisk constantly (it will be slightly thick). Keep adding a little at a time until it smooths out.
Whisk until it reaches a boil and let bubble 1 minute.
Remove from heat and add cheese.
And all three parts for the savoury crepes are ready!
ASSEMBLING POPEYE’S PICK
Place a crepe in the center of a plate. and spread some spinach filling. Fold all the three sides of crepes as shown in the image below.
Pour the hot cheese sauce and serve immediately!
ADDITIONAL NOTES –
Use a wire whisk to stir up the batter—and if you want it to be very smooth. Strain it through a wire mesh sieve to remove any lumps if needed.
Heat the pan slowly so it reaches the perfect temperature to quickly cook each crepe without sticking. Lightly butter the pan before adding the batter.
Serve the crepes hot and immediately once the cheese sauce is ready!